Eating out is one of my most favorite things. Being fit and healthy is one of my top priorities in life. I don’t strive for perfection. I believe we all have to find balance. Food is to be enjoyed with friends and family in times of celebration, in times when we need to pull together, and just simply because.
I’m here to help you with tips and suggestions so you can do both. There are times I have to be stricter than others. If I’m planning for an event or if I’m training for a specific goal I’m in check. The rest of the time, I choose to eat clean and I do not eat low carb or Paleo, but I do make specific carb choices for optimal health. We NEED carbs! Carbs give us energy and stamina. I had good results eating very low carb, but my energy suffered and whenever I did eat carbs I was left feeling bloated and my cravings for sugar and undesirable carbs became intense. I became afraid to eat them in fear I would gain weight. I now prefer complex carbs like, brown rice, steel cut oats, yams, sweet potatoes, quinoa, red potatoes and plantains. Most of these are not always on restaurant menus. My strategy is to eat these at home and when eating out focus on protein and veggies.
I also watch my carb portions very closely. More is not better when it comes to carbs and I choose to eat in a portion control meal plan with a simple container system.
Local Ocean Seafood’s is one of our most favorite restaurants on the Oregon Coast. It’s not just a restaurant. It’s also a seafood market. Local Ocean uses locally caught fresh seafood both in their amazing dishes but also for what they sell in their market. You will see where your fresh seafood is being caught, how it’s being caught and what fishing vessel provided this catch. When it comes to clams, mussels and oysters, you will be informed of the exact location these shellfish were obtained. Please respect the prices, the risk that is involved in bringing this amazing seafood to your plates is highly taken for granted. People put their lives on the line daily so we can benefit from one of the healthiest sources of protein on our planet > Cold Water Fish.
The menu is full of great choices and you will have options if you don’t love seafood. The experience is fun. You may have to wait for a table, but it’s worth it. They do take limited reservations. Our choice is to dine upstairs where it’s a little cozier and quieter, and you can’t beat the view. In the summer, sitting outdoors is a great experience as you are right across from our Port Dock with a great view of the fishing vessels, pirate ships when they come into port and sail boats. You will hear the barking of the sea lions as you dine. It will be warm but perfect outside in our temperate weather.
The Local Ocean Staff are more than accommodating to my substitution requests.
Healthiest options on the menu! Keep in mind these are my top choices. For example the raw oyster shooters are a great choice, but they are not my thing.
1. Albacore Tuna Poke – Ask for no chips, you don’t need them. It’s delicious without. A bit of sugar in the sesame-soy and mandarins, but not enough to worry about – if you are eating on the container system this would = ½ Red, ½ Purple, ½ tsp.
2. Steamer Clams – There is a little bit of butter in this great dish, but the steamers are packed full of protein and as long as you aren’t drinking the broth you are good to go. There is nothing wrong with butter, but plant based fats are a better choice. I ask to leave the bread off this item, or I let my husband partake. Container system = 1 Red, 3 tsp. or ½ Blue/Orange
1. House Salad – This is perfect. If you are worried ask for the House dressing (I prefer it over the Louie Dressing) on the side, but it is house made with perfect ingredients and the salad is not drenched in it. Parmesan cheese is sprinkled on top and used as a spice, you can omit or ask for light on the cheese.
Container system = 2 Green, ½ Blue, 1 Orange
2. Smoked King Salmon Salad – One of my favorites. A bit of a splurge so I may not order depending on my goals. House made smoked salmon and one of the best I’ve ever had. Roasted beets, hazelnuts, poblano peppers, and queso fresco, with a few other items served over fresh spinach. Great dressing – POM Vinaigrette, omit the cheese if needed and keep in mind that smoked salmon is high in sodium and sugar typically. Container system = 1 Red, 2 Green, 1 Blue, 1 Orange
3. Wild Prawn Salad – Excellent! Spinach for the greens and does include bacon. I LOVE bacon so I do not omit. Queso Fresco and poblano peppers are on this excellent salad as well. Another great dressing comes with this salad too – Orange Vinaigrette. Container system = 1 Red, 2 Green, 1 Blue, 1 Orange
1. The Beef Burger – I’ve lived on the Oregon Coast for 36 years, I’m truly grateful for the fresh seafood I’ve had in my life – but sometimes and most often, I just order this dish. It’s my favorite in the line-up. The Beef comes locally from McK Ranch and is grassfed. I order this without the bun and without the sides. I have them serve it over simple grilled veggies or the house salad. It’s perfect. This is a full 8 ounces of the best ground burger you might ever eat. You will not miss the fries.
Container system = 1 ½ Red, 2 Green, 2 tsp. for grilled veggies. 1 ½ Red, 2 green, 1 Blue, 1 Orange for the house salad.
2. Fish Wrap – This is a bit of a splurge for me and worth it. I ask for the fish grilled instead of dipped in panko. I do eat the wrap, it’s served with the house salad inside the wrap. I also order this with no wrap and the fish over the house salad.
Container system = 1 Red, 2 Greens, 1 ½ Yellow, 1 Blue, 1 Orange. No wrap, omit the Yellow.
1. Fishwives Stew – My second favorite. I don’t change anything with this dish. It’s outstanding. The broth will have a bit of fat, but it’s totally fine. There is an abundance and great variety of seafood in this dish and is in a garlic herb tomato broth. It’s hearty and very comforting. It is served with bread and believe me it’s tempting, but I gave up bread long ago and I’m not going back. Not even as a treat. I ask for no bread or pass it along to my husband. Container system = 2 Red, ½ Green, 2 tsp.
2. Grilled Salmon – The last healthy choice that I often order is Grilled Salmon over the house salad or grilled veggies as I would the burger. The Local Ocean Staff has no problem with this request. Thankfully. Container System = 1 Red, 2 Green, 1 tsp.
1. Peach Coastal Kombucha handcrafted locally by my good friend Maribeth Zanone. It’s outstanding, try ½ pint.
2. Wine of course, red is best and in moderation.
3. The African Nectar Tea is delicious on a cold day.
4. Soda water or San Pellegrino Sparkling, not the Limonata (too much sugar)
Always check the specials (you will be given the hot sheet).
You can ask for fresh cracked crab (best in winter months) to be served over the house salad or in exchange for the wild prawns on the wild prawn salad.
Any of the noodle dishes can be served quite nicely without the noodles, especially the Spicy Shrimp Salad, The Tuna Kabobs (little high in sugar), The Grilled Halibut and The Seared King Salmon dishes.
Don’t Drink and Drive.
One of the reasons I love Local Ocean is I can get a healthy and very satisfying meal without heavy carbs.
Please leave a comment below if you have tried Local Ocean.