I had worked out my entire adult life. When I turned 43 years old I came to a point where I believed I was good as I was going to get. I began to succumb to the fact that I would never be super lean or strong. I thought I would always have a bit of a belly from this point forward. I believed I was eating healthy for the most part. Of course I was a runner so I also believed I was able to burn all the calories I was eating. Heck, it worked a bit in my 20’s.
I found myself not wanting to look in the mirror. My skin was aging and rutty. I was puffy, not horribly overweight but bloated and uncomfortable.
I purchased P90X. I believed this was my ticket (if possible) back to being fit and lean. I never read the guidebook or the instructions. I thought I knew everything. I had been a Fitness Instructor for 16 years after all.
I did 3 full rounds of P90X. 270 days! I got super strong, could do pushups on my toes forever and several unassisted pull-ups. I think I lost 2 pounds. I did have more muscle but not a lot of great definition. I was disappointed, but I did see a glimmer of hope that maybe, just maybe I could keep improving as I was aging. I’d never seen a workout like P90X, it was more complex than anything I had ever done. I soon realized I was missing one important aspect to my training – Proper Nutrition.
Clean Eating Changed Me
I vowed to clean up my diet. I chose “eating clean” because it made sense to me and I could simplify it to fit into my busy life. I researched, asked a ton of questions, read everything I could get my hands on and started eliminating processed foods from my diet. I also stopped sabotaging all my hard work during the week only to blow it all on the weekends, by eating too much and drinking too much wine.
I also started a new workout program called Chalean Extreme and I started replacing one meal per day with Shakeology (still do). It was a bit easier than P90X, not as long workouts and 1 extra day of rest. To my surprise, I lost 15 pounds in 6 weeks and over 10% body fat. My skin improved greatly, my hair started to become thick. I have had Hashimoto’s Disease since I was a teenager and believed my hair would always be thin. I have kept this weight and body fat off for over 2 years. It’s been the most satisfying and easy “diet” I’ve ever done. I am now 46 and I’m in the best shape of my life. I keep improving – every day – every week.
What I learned is this:
- You can’t out train a bad diet – no matter how hard you workout or what type of workout you choose to do.
- Eating Clean is a lifestyle not a diet. It’s the best gift you can give yourself.
- Mental Clarity, the ability to focus and an amazing sense of well being out weighs how you look. I’d trade the way I look if I had to choose.
- Find a support system. Surround yourself with like minded people and someone who will push you.
- I do Beachbody Fitness Programs exclusively. I don’t waste money at the gym. They provide you well rounded fitness. They are designed to keep you from hitting plateaus. They cover all your bases, cardio, strength and flexibility. They provide you with a beautiful schedule. They are fun! There is a program for everyone, despite your age, size, or level of fitness. Whether you want to lean out, build muscle, become more agile, or cross train for a marathon – there is a program for you.
- You can enjoy every bit of life, socializing, eating out and special occasions without feeling deprived or left out. It just takes a bit of planning.
- You can feel better as you age, you can be fitter than you ever imagined. Yes, it’s going to take some effort, but the journey is just as amazing as your results and the life you give yourself.
I’ve created simple recipes, simple systems, simple tricks and tools. I’m here to help you and not overwhelm you.
When you are ready, reach out to me. Send me a message or find me on Facebook.